Easy + Affordable DIY Shiplap


I thought it was about time to keep doing things I love but put off because I really suck lol. So here's to the first of many DIY blog posts! I decided the first one should be something I've done over and over again whether it be in my own home or others or explaining what to do to people over the phone. It's also one that I have figured out the best, easiest, and most affordable way to do it.  So here we go!

TOOLS! (my favorite) The tools I used for this project were:
-Nails
-2 nickles as my spacers in between my boards
-Miter saw (you can use anything that will cut a straight line so you can cut your boards to size)
-Paint color of your choice 

STEP ONE:
Choosing your product! There are so many different choices out there, but I would say the main factor is budget. Since my blog/DIY's are based off of affordability, I will be sharing the cheapest product I've found. Which is plywood. I get mine from Home Depot since I have one close. It is roughly $10 for a 4 feet by 8  feet sheet. As shown below. I also took a picture of their barcode for easy access. 



Because it's easier for my Home Depot to strip my board into 6 inch pieces, and it's easier to bring home, I have them do it in the store. Now, you can really choose the width of your shiplap, I just prefer 6 inches. But Home Depot can only go down to 6 inches. If you want it thinner, you would have to do it yourself. 

With Plywood, because it is super thin, and you can't really insure that Home Depot will cut your board 100% straight, I always get an extra board. Just in case! 

STEP TWO:
Before you put up the boards, because we aren't using the nice pre-made, tongue and groove shiplap, Its so much easier if you paint both of the long edges the color your wall will be! You will see them, and its so much harder to paint them once they are already up (believe me I've done two walls like that lol).

STEP THREE:
Now is the fun part! Putting up the boards. I start by finding the studs, and drawing a line down my wall where they are located. Once that is done, I put up the first board. There are many ways to put them up/layer them, it's all by choice. But I like it best when hardly any of the ends/seams line up. I don't like when I have a line down my wall where you can see where my board ended. So I layer mine in a way that is appealing to MY eye. Like so:


CONTINUING STEP THREE:
Because we don't have tongue and groove, we have to create that gap that shiplap has. I like to use nickels. I've done different gaps ranging from 1-3 nickels. That again is a personal choice! I put my board up, put my nickels in-between them to create the gap, find the stud, then nail it to the wall! I just keep going until Im done. Cutting the correct lengths for my boards as I go. 

STEP FOUR:
The finalizing stage. This is where you decide if you want to fill in the nail holes, or if you like the rustic character they bring. I left mine, but so many others have filled them in. Always go with what you want, not what others have done! It's your wall, you need to love it. IF you chose to fill in the holes, that it where you would do that. Then after all holes are filled, it's time to paint! Take your chosen paint color and either roll or spray it on.


THAT'S IT! So easy and simple. It's such an affordable way to get an accent wall in your home. Shiplap is also a selling factor for home buyers right now. So double win.

This was the first of many DIY blogs. I hope you try this one out, and if you do TAG ME in your posts or send me pictures!

Instagram: @lyndseyashdown


ENJOY AND SHIPLAP AWAY









Comments

Popular Posts